Wednesday, September 2, 2009

What's Happening Lately...

FLATCAR UPDATE
Few updates as of late because mostly I've been trying to figure out how to mount the wheels to the base of the flatcar. Originally I had planned to try to build the axleboxes/journals myself, however I decided instead to buy some pre-made ones to learn better about how they go together before attempting my own from scratch. I ended up purchasing 3 styles from Ozark Miniatures. Here are...

I like the look of these.


These are "sprung". They actually "bounce" up and down.


I also managed to score a (brand new) set of actual trucks on ebay, for about 75% off (shown here picture and kit pieces).



SHOP UPDATE
The other thing I've been working on is researching tools to expand my "shop" (i use that term loosely). After spending a while evaluating a table saw (a purchased I'd still like), I think instead a lathe would be more immediately helpful.

I've narrowed down my search to 3 lathes in particular:
  1. Taig Micro-Lathe II
  2. Unimat 3
  3. Sherline Lathe
I keep going back and forth, but I think I'm starting to lean towards the Taig for a number of reasons, along with it being the most affordable of the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment