Sunday, August 9, 2009

Compromises

It's time for compromise.

Things that I'm looking for in a railroad:
  • Able to resemble at least a significant portion of an industry's actual operation (ore for example, operated in the sense of pickup, deliver, dispose tailings, deliver supplies to mine, etc.)

  • Has a turn radius capable of running trains with more than 4 wheels (this basically necessitates I need at least 3.5 feet of width to make a loop that big)

  • Is sizable enough to have the sense when operating that the train is actually going somewhere (as opposed to moving 6 inches and being 'there' already).

  • Be transportable (able to be moved to a new house, fit through the door, etc.)

  • Able to be built in a reasonable amount of time for a reasonable amount of money
So I'm sure you notice the contradictions in this list of things I'm looking for. How can the railroad be portable, but still contain a fairly large amount of track, or be movable to a new home? For that matter, how can a railroad contain a large amount of track and still be affordable?

When I was a kid my parents bought me Kato Unitrack in N scale. It's precision made track that 'clicks' together to form temporary layouts. I think we have a winner!




The positives of going over to Unitrack are numerous...
  • Because the track plan isn't permanent, I can always re-arrange it if I want to try something different

  • This, in turn, gives me time to figure out what kind of trains I like the best (what era, what industry, etc) I can run passenger, or rearrange the track and run a freight delivery line.

  • I can still 'model' trains, that is build them, along with cars and structures. It hit me I don't need a permanent layout to do that

  • Everything is completely portable. It can be setup, left for a week or 2, then taken down and moved easily.

  • I can focus on building and running trains rather than building benchwork, wiring track, or making scenery.

  • It gives me time to build my collection of carpentry tools. As it is now, I don't have a lot of what it would take to build proper benchwork.

  • Since it's a bit more 'toy like', I could always pass it down to my children later on in life.

  • It's a step closer to the garden railroad mindset... 8-) ...for that matter, I could probably build wooden risers to hold the unitrack slightly off the ground... hmmmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment