Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Coach Chassis

Being that I completed the basic form of the coach body and because I need to do some more planning for the coach interior, I started working on the chassis. I didn't want the body to get too far along before I began on the chassis because I'm trying to develop all of it kind of at once so that things get done on different parts instead of completely finishing one facet.

Anyways, I decided the chassis would be made of aluminum. My initial draw to this was that on the actual prototype Coach the chassis is metal and the body wood, so I feel I'm at least being true-er to the original by doing so. Also, the metal won't be glued but cold fastened. This, I'm hoping, will give it a lot more strength and pulling power.

The last time I worked with aluminum was actually when I did a robotics science fair project in the 10th grade. Fortunately one of the local hardware stores has an assortment of smaller sizes in 4' lengths. As far as aluminum goes, it's quite soft, so I'm assuming it's a lesser grade. On the plus side, it's easier to shape.

DSC03413

DSC03412

The chassis is made from channel aluminum with a strip for the end bar. I couldn't locate any L-brackets that were small enough for this, so I guess that means I'm making those too!

DSC03414

For now I'm waffling between bolting it all together with 0-80 or 1-72 hex head bolts -OR- using 1/16" rivets. If I can find a reasonably priced rivet bucker I might just go that route.

I found out this past weekend that Stanley Slack is squeamish about using hand tools, so just for him I'd like to point out that everything you see above was cut with this very hack saw...

DSC03415

The final chassis will be primered and then painted in black (that might have been a subtle Rolling Stones reference there). Here's what it looks like in it's natural silvery color...

DSC03419

No comments:

Post a Comment